Compañía Española de Financiación del Desarrollo

Full Member


COFIDES is a state-owned company specialising in managing State funds that provide medium- and long-term financing for private investments linked to different public policy mandates. The Spanish State holds 53% of the equity, and private shareholders hold the remaining 47%: Banco Santander (20.7%), Banco Bilbao Vizcaya Argentaria -BBVA- (16.68%), Banco Sabadell (8.33%), and Development Bank of Latin America -CAF- (1.14%).

COFIDES manages €6 billion of assets to:

  • Support the internationalisation of Spanish firms
  • Attract foreign investments into Spain
  • Contribute to the growth of the impact investment ecosystem in Spain
  • Strengthen the solvency of Spanish companies impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic.
  • Contribute to sustainable and economic development.

COFIDES promotes foreign investments into Spain’s economy through co-investment deals with (i) foreign public institutions (SWFs, public pension funds, etc.), (ii) foreign private long-term institutional investors, (iii) domestic private investment vehicles with foreign LPs, and (iv) foreign corporations. COFIDES has long-standing institutional and financial relations, including co-investment operations and vehicles, with many long-term institutional investors and Sovereign Wealth Funds.

COFIDES promotes the values of excellence in the management of its activity with a clear commitment to quality, transparency, and equal opportunities, with the conviction that ethical conduct in business and ESG practices go hand in hand with business and social success. Thus, COFIDES is fully committed to supporting the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and attaining the SDGs. Sustainability and climate finance are core drivers of COFIDES’ Strategic Plan.        

Since its foundation, COFIDES has managed over 1,000 transactions in 95 different markets.

Contact Details

Paseo de la Castellana, 278
28046 Madrid

Read Self-Assessment Report